Controversial Manotick development gains provincial approval
Published Friday, April 10, 2009 12:13PM EDT
A developer's plan to for an 1,800-home development in Manotick received the green light Thursday from the Ontario Municipal Board, CTV Ottawa has learned.
Minto Corporation's proposal was initially rejected by Ottawa city council last year, and a number of current homeowners concerned the new subdivision would compromise Manotick's character.
"Naturally we are very disappointed," said Brian Tansley of the West Manotick Community Association, which has fought the development from its initial stages.
"We lost on every point we attempted to make. My biggest disappointment was the OMB's complete lack of recognition that village character is anything more than gingerbread on eavestroughs."
Minto has countered that their plan for single-family homes and townhouses on 430 acres of land will integrate well with Manotick's bucolic appeal.
"We listened throughout the process with a great deal of respect to what the community residents were telling us," said Minto Vice-President Jack Sterling.
"The major difference was that we thought we could resolve some of their concerns, and now we have the opportunity to demonstrate that."
A compromise failed, and Minto appealed city council's 2008 decision to the OMB.
Minto now plans to consult with the community and start construction in 2010. The entire development should be complete by 2020.
With a report from CTV Ottawa's Natalie Pierosara