Revenge motivated Ontario man accused in triple murder case, Crown alleges
OTTAWA - A Crown attorney says revenge was the motive that fuelled Basil Borutski's murderous rampage in the Ottawa Valley two years ago.
Borutski, 59, is charged with three counts of first-degree murder in the September 2015 deaths of Carol Culleton, Anastasia Kuzyk, and Nathalie Warmerdam.
Crown attorney Jeffery Richardson laid out the case against Borutski in an Ottawa courtroom today after the final jurors were selected.
A six-man, six-woman jury will hear the case, which is expected to last until late January and will resume Thursday with the Crown presenting its initial evidence.
Richardson said Borutski had relationships with all three women that didn't end the way he wanted, so he set out to kill them -- strangling Culleton, and gunning down Kuzyk and Warmerdam with a 12-gauge shotgun.
Borutski is representing himself but has so far refused to take part in the proceedings or to utter a word in court.