Ottawa News | Local Breaking | CTV News Ottawa
Sometimes simple is best. Grilling adds a nice smoky flavour to this popular appetizer. Kick it up with choice of toppings and serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Grilling Time: 10-12 minutes
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red Pepper
- 1/2 lb Ontario Asparagus, trimmed
- 125g (approx) large tortilla chips
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Tomato, diced
- 1 Ontario Green Onion, sliced
- Sliced olives and pickled jalapeño slices (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese, such as a Tex Mex or Mexican blend salsa
Cut red pepper into quarters, removing seeds and stem. Place on grill over medium heat, grill until lightly charred and soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; chop.
Meanwhile, place asparagus on a rectangular grill topper or in a grill basket. Grill until tender-crisp and lightly charred in places, about 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from heat; chop.
In a shallow metal pan that fits on the grill, such as a pizza pan or baking sheet, arrange a single layer of tortilla chips. Scatter red pepper, asparagus, tomatoes, green onions and toppings (if using) evenly over chips. Sprinkle with cheese.
Place pan on grill, close lid and cook over medium heat until cheese melts, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve with salsa.
Tip: Recipe can easily be doubled to make two pans.
Nutrients per serving
Protein: 14.0 grams
Fat: 22.0 grams
Carbohydrates: 28.0 grams