Big Batch Cheesy Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
This twist on a classic offers a colourful and tasty mealtime solution for eight to ten hungry people. Or make two dinners for four and freeze the second pan for a last-minute meal to cook from frozen. Or make eight individual 1 cup (250 mL) servings for later use.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Baking Time: 20 to 45 minutes
Serves 8 to 10
- 4 lb (2 kg) Ontario Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Ontario Old Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- Salt and pepper
- 2 lb (1kg) lean ground Ontario Beef
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) each shredded Ontario Carrots and Ontario Zucchini
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) fresh Ontario Corn Kernels
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) minced Ontario Onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each dried thyme, oregano and dry mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- Salt and pepper
Topping: In large pot, cook potatoes in boiling water until fork-tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and mash with Cheddar cheese, milk, and salt and pepper to taste.
Filling: Meanwhile, in large frying pan, sauté beef over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain off fat. Add garlic, carrots, zucchini, corn and onion; cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. In small bowl, mix together thyme, oregano, mustard and flour; stir into pan along with milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Transfer to two 8-inch (2 L) square baking dishes; top each with half of the potato mixture. (Can be frozen at this point). Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 20 minutes, or until heated through and topping is browned.
From Frozen: Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 minutes or until heated through.
1 Serving (when recipe serves 10):
PROTEIN: 31 grams
FAT: 15 grams
CARBOHYDRATES: 59 grams
FIBRE: 7 grams