Chicken And Pumpkin Rendang
Making your own curry paste from scratch is easier than you think and yields a delicious result. These chicken thighs are juicy and pack a robust flavour from all the aromatics. Serve on a bed of rice.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 3 cloves Ontario Garlic
- 1 large Ontario Shallot
- 1 piece (1-inch/2.5 cm) gingerroot, peeled
- 1 small Ontario Jalapeño Pepper, seeds removed
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) each ground turmeric and coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) coconut milk
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 12 boneless skinless Ontario Chicken Thighs (about 2 lb/1 kg), cut in half
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Pie Pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2 cm) pieces
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) coconut milk
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 Ontario Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Coriander Leaves
Curry Paste: In small food processor, pulse together garlic, shallot and ginger until finely chopped. Add jalapeño pepper, turmeric, coriander, cumin and coconut milk; purée until mixture is smooth.
Rendang: In large deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add star anise and cinnamon and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add chicken in batches and cook turning once, until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken to plate.
Add curry paste to skillet and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of skillet for 2 minutes. Add pumpkin and stir to coat. Stir in coconut milk and bring to simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 8 minutes.
Add chicken to skillet along with any accumulated juices and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. The sauce will begin to reduce and pumpkin will soften and melt into sauce. Add lime juice and sugar and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and discard star anise and cinnamon. Garnish with green onions and coriander.
PROTEIN: 40 grams
FAT: 29 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 15 grams
FIBRE: 2 grams
SODIUM: 185 mg