Internet safety for seniors
Published Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:00PM EDT
In Canada, seniors are the fastest growing group of internet users. Those over the age of 65 are using e-mail and social media, more than ever before.
Ottawa based internet security company, Trend Micro, recently hosted a free information session to educate local seniors.
Some basic suggestions:
- Be wary of unexpected email messages.
- Don't post your vacation plans on social media.
- Don’t accept Facebook friend requests from just anyone.
Password security is also a concern. Some advice about passwords:
- Don't use the same password for everything.
- Make passwords difficult to guess. Phrases are good, and throw in some numbers, symbols and capital letters.
- It is also recommended that you change passwords every 3 months.
CTV’s Natalie Pierosara will have more on this story tonight at six.