Cooking with Pam: Sweet Potatoes
SWEET POTATO APPLE PANCAKES
Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup cooked, mashed Ontario sweet potatoes
- 1 Ontario apple, cored, chopped
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Ontario Maple Syrup
1. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In separate bowl beat together milk, eggs and vanilla; stir in sweet potato. Add to dry ingredients; stir until just moistened. Stir in apple.
2. Spoon ¼ cup of batter per pancake into lightly greased skillet heated over medium heat; cook until tops are bubbly and edges cooked. Flip over and cook until golden. Serve immediately with warm maple syrup.
THAI CURRY SWEET POTATO SOUP
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium Ontario onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon each: ground cumin, coriander and turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled, cubed Ontario sweet potatoes (about 1 ¼ pounds)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) light coconut milk (or omit and use 3 ½ cups broth and 1 tablespoon brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Garnishes: ¼ cup chopped roasted peanuts; Finely grated lime rind; fresh Ontario cilantro or parsley
1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric and red pepper flakes, stirring, until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Add broth, sweet potatoes and coconut milk; bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Let cool slightly. Puree in batches in blender or food processor or with hand blender until smooth. Return to saucepan; stir in lime juice.
3. Season to taste with salt. Serve with your choice of garnishes.
ROASTED PORK LOIN WITH SWEET POTATO SALSA
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 pound Ontario sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 –inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 Ontario onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon each: coarse salt and black pepper
- 2 Ontario pork tenderloins, trimmed (about 12 ounces each)
- 1 cup Ontario greenhouse grape tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup each: diced Ontario greenhouse cucumber and sweet yellow or red pepper
- 2 tablespoons each: chopped fresh cilantro and lime juice
- 1 teaspoon each: Ontario liquid honey and grated lime rind
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
1. On rimmed baking sheet, toss together sweet potatoes, onion and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Roast in preheated 450 degree F oven for 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender-crisp. Transfer to bowl; refrigerate until cool.
2. Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine cumin, chili powder, ¼ teaspoon of the salt and the pepper; rub onto pork.
3. In large ovenproof skillet, heat remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat; brown pork on all sides, 4 minutes in total.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 4oo degrees F. Place skillet in oven; roast pork for about 20 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of pork registers 160 degrees F. Tent with foil; let rest for 5 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, cucumber, sweet peppers, cilantro, lime juice, honey, lime rind, garlic and remaining salt to sweet potato mixture; toss to mix.
6. Slice pork diagonally; serve with Sweet Potato Salsa.
Today’s recipes are from Foodland Ontario www.foodland.gov.on.ca