Ottawa Public Health reports 62 new COVID-19 cases, most in two months
Ottawa Public Health is reported its highest new COVID-19 case count in nearly two months as the province reports more than 900 new infections.
The health unit is reporting 62 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, the most since Oct. 3. That follows 50 new cases on Wednesday and 16 on Tuesday.
Hospitalizations from the virus, however, remain steady. There are 11 people in hospital with COVID-19, including two in intensive care. The number of active cases has increased to 350.
Provincewide, Ontario health officials reported 959 new cases and seven new deaths from the virus.
The province’s rolling seven-day average is now 851, up from 692 at this time last week.
Ottawa Public Health will release a full snapshot on the COVID-19 situation in Ottawa early Thursday afternoon.
OTTAWA'S KEY COVID-19 STATISTICS
- COVID-19 cases per 100,000 (Nov. 24 to Nov. 30): 29.0 (up from 26.3)
- Positivity rate in Ottawa (Nov. 24 to Nov. 30): 2.1 per cent
- Reproduction number (Seven day average): 0.97
Reproduction values greater than 1 indicate the virus is spreading and each case infects more than one contact. If it is less than 1, it means spread is slowing.
Of the 291 Ontario residents in hospital with COVID-19, 241 are not fully vaccinated or have an unknown vaccination status.
There are 155 people in Ontario ICUs with COVID-19. Of those, 129 are not fully vaccinated or have an unknown vaccination status.
COVID-19 VACCINES IN OTTAWA
Ottawa Public Health has updated its vaccination numbers to include children between ages five and 11, who are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine.
The healh unit releases vaccine numbers on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
As of Wednesday:
- Ottawa residents with 1 dose (5+): 854,793 (+5,887)
- Ottawa residents with 2 doses (5+): 813,987 (+714)
- Share or population five and older with at least one dose: 86 per cent
- Share of population five and older fully vaccinated: 81 per cent
*Statistics on Ottawa residents with one or two doses include anyone with an Ottawa postal code who was vaccinated anywhere in Ontario.
ACTIVE CASES OF COVID-19 IN OTTAWA
There are 350 active cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa on Thursday, up from 329 on Wednesday.
Ottawa Public Health reported 41 more newly resolved cases of COVID-19. The total number of resolved cases of coronavirus in Ottawa is 31,132.
The number of active cases is the number of total laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 minus the numbers of resolved cases and deaths. A case is considered resolved 14 days after known symptom onset or positive test result.
COVID-19 TESTING IN OTTAWA
The Ottawa COVID-19 Testing Taskforce says 2,543 swabs processed at assessment centres in Ottawa on Tuesday. A total of 3,862 lab tests were performed in Ottawa.
The average turnaround time from the time the swab is taken at a testing site to the result is 22 hours.
CASES OF COVID-19 AROUND THE REGION
- Eastern Ontario Health Unit: 18 new cases
- Hastings Prince Edward Public Health: 22 new cases
- Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington Public Health: 36 new cases
- Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit: Six new cases
- Renfrew County and District Health Unit: Four new case
Ottawa Public Health reports COVID-19 outbreaks at institutions and community outbreaks in Ottawa. There are eight ongoing outbreaks in health care institutions and 20 in child care and school settings.
- Workplace – Manufacturing: One outbreak
Schools and childcare spaces currently experiencing outbreaks:
- École élémentaire publique Marie-Curie (Nov. 5)
- Holy Family Elementary School (Nov. 7)
- Assumption Catholic elementary school (Nov. 8)
- Académie Providence Soeurs Antonines (Nov. 16)
- Carlington Recreation Centre - Licenced Childcare Centre (Nov. 17)
- Le Carrefour - Services de garde agréés en Centre (Nov. 18)
- Wee Watch - Licenced home childcare - Kanata (Nov. 18)
- Chesterton Academy (Nov. 21)
- St. Rita Elementary School (Nov. 21)
- École élémentaire catholique d'enseignment personnalisé Lamoureux (Nov. 21)
- Pinecrest Public School (Nov. 21)
- Carson Grove Elementary School (Nov. 22)
- Holy Redeemer Elementary School (Nov. 22)
- Chapel Hill Catholic School (Nov. 23)
- École élémentaire catholique St. François d'Assise (Nov. 24)
- Inuuqatigiit licenced childcare - Overbrook (Nov. 25)
- Notre Dame High School (Nov. 25)
- Maryvale Academy of Ottawa (Nov. 26)
- Frank Ryan Catholic Intermediate School (Nov. 26)
- Farley Mowat Public
Healthcare and congregate settings experiencing outbreaks:
- The Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus - A3 Unit (Oct. 29)
- Portobello Retirement Residence (Nov. 3)
- Rooming House (Nov. 12)
- Chapel Hill Retirement Residence - 3rd floor (Nov. 13)
- St. Patrick's Home - Floors 3, 4, 5 (Nov. 17)
- The Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus - Unit B2 (Nov. 19)