47 new COVID-19 cases in Ottawa as Ontario sees highest increase since September
OTTAWA -- Ottawa Public Health is reporting 47 new COVID-19 cases on Friday as the province sees a significant uptick in cases.
Provincewide, Ontario health officials reported 927 new cases. That’s the highest jump in the provincial case numbers since early September, and the second-highest since late May.
Ottawa Public Health recorded 42 new cases on Thursday and 32 on Wednesday.
Officials confirmed six more deaths in Ontario from the virus, bringing the total number of lab-confirmed deaths to 9.991.
The province’s rolling seven-day average is now 711, up from 625 at this time last week.
Ontario’s top doctor said Thursday the rising curve is a continuation of the fourth wave, and not the start of a fifth wave. He warned the trend would continue.
Ottawa Public Health will release a full snapshot on the COVID-19 situation in Ottawa early Friday afternoon.
OTTAWA'S KEY COVID-19 STATISTICS
- COVID-19 cases per 100,000 (Nov. 18 to Nov. 24): 23.4 (up from 23.0)
- Positivity rate in Ottawa (Nov. 19 to Nov. 25): 1.7 per cent (up from 1.6 per cent)
- Reproduction number (Seven day average): 0.99 (up from 0.82)
Reproduction values greater than 1 indicate the virus is spreading and each case infects more than one contact. If it is less than 1, it means spread is slowing.
Of the 268 Ontario residents in hospital with COVID-19, 221 are not fully vaccinated or have an unknown vaccination status.
There are 140 people in Ontario ICUs with COVID-19. Of those, 130 are not fully vaccinated or have an unknown vaccination status. Ten are fully vaccinated.
COVID-19 VACCINES IN OTTAWA
Ottawa Public Health updates vaccine numbers on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
As of Friday:
- Ottawa residents with 1 dose (12+): 839,875 (+1,002)
- Ottawa residents with 2 doses (12+): 812,414 (+1,818)
- Share of population 12 and older with at least one dose: 91 per cent
- Share of population 12 and older fully vaccinated: 88 per cent
*Statistics on Ottawa residents with one or two doses include anyone with an Ottawa postal code who was vaccinated anywhere in Ontario.
ACTIVE CASES OF COVID-19 IN OTTAWA
There are 318 active cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa on Thursday, up from 304 on Thursday.
Ottawa Public Health reported 33 more newly resolved cases of COVID-19. The total number of resolved cases of coronavirus in Ottawa is 30,902.
The number of active cases is the number of total laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 minus the numbers of resolved cases and deaths. A case is considered resolved 14 days after known symptom onset or positive test result.
COVID-19 TESTING IN OTTAWA
The Ottawa COVID-19 Testing Taskforce says 2,302 swabs processed at assessment centres in Ottawa on Wednesday.
A total of 2,038 lab tests were performed in Ottawa.
The average turnaround time from the time the swab is taken at a testing site to the result is 24 hours.
CASES OF COVID-19 AROUND THE REGION
- Eastern Ontario Health Unit: 17 new cases
- Hastings Prince Edward Public Health: 22 new cases
- Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington Public Health: 40 new cases
- Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit: Four new cases
- Renfrew County and District Health Unit: Three new cases
Ottawa Public Health reports COVID-19 outbreaks at institutions and community outbreaks in Ottawa.
- Workplace – Services: One outbreak
Schools and childcare spaces currently experiencing outbreaks:
- École élémentaire publique Marie-Curie (Nov. 5)
- Holy Family Elementary School (Nov. 7)
- Assumption Catholic elementary school (Nov. 8)
- Our Lady of Fatima elementary school (Nov. 9)
- Ecole élémentaire catholique La Vérendrye (Nov. 10)
- Ecole élémentaire catholique Sainte-Bernadette (Nov. 11)
- Sir Winston Churchill Public School (Nov. 13)
- Stittsville Public School (Nov. 13)
- Westwind Public School (Nov. 15)
- Académie Providence Soeurs Antonines (Nov. 16)
- Hilson Avenue Public School (Nov. 16)
- Holy Spirit Elementary School (Nov. 16)
- École élémentaire publique Francojeunesse (Nov. 17)
- Carlington Recreation Centre - Licenced Childcare Centre (Nov. 17)
- A. Lorne Cassidy Elementary School (Nov. 18)
- Fern Hill School (Nov. 19)
- Chesterton Academy (Nov. 21)
- St. Rita Elementary School (Nov. 21)
- École élémentaire catholique d'enseignment personnalisé Lamoureux (Nov. 21)
- Pinecrest Public School (Nov. 21)
- Carson Grove Elementary School (Nov. 22)
- Chapel Hill Catholic School (Nov. 23)
Healthcare and congregate settings experiencing outbreaks:
- The Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus - A2 Unit (Oct. 26)
- Shelter (Oct. 26)
- The Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus - A4/A5/B5/AMA/Medicine units (Oct. 28)
- The Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus - A3 Unit (Oct. 29)
- Supported Independent Living (A-24018) (Nov. 2)
- Portobello Retirement Residence (Nov. 3)
- The Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus - Unit A1 (Nov. 4)
- The Ottawa Hospital General Campus - 8 West (Nov. 8)
- The Ottawa Hospital General Campus – 6 West (Nov. 10)
- Rooming House (Nov. 12)
- Chapel Hill Retirement Residence - 3rd floor (Nov. 13)
- St. Patrick's Home - Waterford Unit, Floor 5 (Nov. 17)
- The Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus - Unit B2 (Nov. 19)