Turkey Goat Cheese Panini with Cranberry Relish
Published Thursday, October 5, 2017 3:56PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, October 5, 2017 3:59PM EDT
These hearty meal-in-one sandwiches are a tasty way to use up any leftover turkey. Use a panini maker or a small pan to press down and make sandwiches. This cranberry relish is a versatile, quick recipe to have on hand. Use instead of cranberry sauce during the holidays with roast turkey.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 minutes per sandwich
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely grated orange zest
- 5 clementine oranges, peeled, sectioned, seeded and coarsely chopped (or 3 oranges)
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 pkg (12 oz/340 g) fresh Ontario Cranberries
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh Ontario Rosemary Leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) pecans, coarsely chopped
- 12 slices whole-grain panini-style bread
- 3 cups (750 mL) thinly sliced cooked Ontario Turkey (about 10 oz/300 g)
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) baby Ontario Spinach Leaves
- 6 oz (175 g) Ontario Goat Cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
Cranberry Relish: In food processor, pulse orange zest and half of the oranges until finely chopped. Add sugar; pulse 3 or 4 times to combine. Add cranberries, rosemary and salt; pulse until cranberries are coarsely chopped. Transfer to bowl; toss with remaining oranges and pecans. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Panini: Place 6 slices of bread on work surface. Top each slice evenly with cranberry relish (to taste), sliced turkey and spinach leaves. Spread goat cheese on remaining slices of bread. Close sandwiches, pressing slightly to adhere.
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brush top of sandwiches lightly with oil. Place sandwiches in batches, oiled side down, in skillet. Place heavy pan on sandwiches to press down. Cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove heavy pan. Brush top of sandwich with oil. Using a spatula, flip carefully. Place pan on top of sandwich and cook 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cover with foil while you cook remaining sandwiches. Cut on diagonal and serve with additional relish, if desired.
PROTEIN: 31 grams
FAT: 25 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 74 grams
FIBRE: 6 grams
SODIUM: 834 mg