Grilled Chicken, Rhubarb and Asparagus Salad
Grilling rhubarb caramelizes it, adding tart, sweet notes to this flavour-packed salad. Perfect for casual entertaining.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Grilling Time: about 20 minutes
Serves 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each vegetable oil and apple juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)Ontario Honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each garlic powder, salt and dried thyme leaves
- 3 boneless skinless Ontario Chicken Breasts (about 6 oz/175 g each)
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Asparagus, trimmed
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Rhubarb, trimmed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Ontario Honey
- 8 cups (2 L) Ontario Arugula Leaves
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) toasted pecan halves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbed Ontario Feta Cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh Ontario Mint Leaves, coarsely chopped
In large bowl, whisk together oil, apple juice, honey, salt and pepper; set aside.
Chicken: In medium bowl, combine mustard, oil, garlic, salt and thyme. Add chicken; toss to coat. Place chicken on greased grill over medium-high heat. Grill, covered, until thermometer inserted sideways into centre reads 165°F (74°C) about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Remove from heat; rest for 5 minutes. Slice into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick pieces.
Salad: In large bowl, toss asparagus and rhubarb with oil. Place on greased grill over medium-high heat and grill until tender, about 8 minutes, turning occasionally. Cut rhubarb into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces and place back in bowl; toss with honey. Cut asparagus into bite-size pieces. Add asparagus, rhubarb, chicken, arugula, pecans, feta and mint leaves to reserved dressing. Toss to combine; serve immediately.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6):
PROTEIN: 25 grams
FAT: 26 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 21 grams
FIBRE: 5 grams
SODIUM: 902 mg