Cooking with Pam: Strawberries Anyone?
Today’s recipes are from Foodland Ontario www.foodlandontario.ca
BROWN RICE AND STRAWBERRY SALAD
Serves 4 to 6.
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup whole grain brown rice
- 1/3 cup each: coarsely chopped pecans, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup each: cider vinegar and vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1 teaspoon ground or cracked pepper
- 3 cups hulled quartered Ontario strawberries
- 3 Ontario green onions, trimmed and sliced
- ½ cup torn fresh basil
- 1/3 cup slivered dried apricots
- Garnish: Ontario lettuce leaves, fanned strawberries and basil leaves
- In medium saucepan, bring stock and rice to boil; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until just tender. Drain off any liquid and let cool.
- Meanwhile in dry medium skillet, toast pecans, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds for 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool.
- In bowl or jar, mix or shake together vinegar, oil, honey and pepper.
- Five to 10 minutes before serving, pour dressing over berries and toss to coat. Add toasted nuts, seeds, green onions and basil to rice; stir in strawberry mixture and apricots.
Serve at room temperature on lettuce lined plates and garnish with fanned strawberries and basil leaves if desired.
STRAWBERRIES AND GRILLED CHICKEN SALAD
- 4 boneless skinless Ontario chicken breasts, about 6 ounces each
- 8 cups mixed Ontario salad greens (romaine, red and green leaf lettuce, spinach, arugula)
- 2 cups sliced Ontario strawberries
- 1 cup shelled cooked Ontario peas (buy 1 pound in pods for 1 cup shelled)
- ½ cup chopped Ontario green onions or chives
- ¾ cup sliced Ontario strawberries
- ½ cup non-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 5 teaspoons white or red balsamic vinegar
- Place chicken on greased grill over medium-high heat, close lid and grill, turning once, until no longer pink inside, 12 to 15 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Dressing: In food processor, combine strawberries, yogurt, honey and vinegar; process until smooth, scraping down side. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- On each of four large salad plates, place 2 cups greens, ½ cup strawberries, ¼ cup peas and 2 tablespoons green onions. Slice chicken breasts diagonally and place over salad. Drizzle with dressing.
STRAWBERRY LEMON CREAM SHOTS
- 1 ½ cups diced Ontario strawberries
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup lemon curd (available in jam section of most supermarkets)
- 4 teaspoons toasted unsweetened coconut
- In small bowl, combine strawberries with sugar; spoon into 12 2-ounce shot glasses.
- In chilled medium bowl, using electric mixer, beat cream and vanilla until stiff. Fold in lemon curd until combined. Spoon over strawberries. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled (up to 6 hours). Garnish with coconut.
PAM’S LEMON CURD*
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- Whisk eggs and sugar together in medium saucepan or large microwave-safe bowl until smooth. Whisk in lemon juice. Add butter and zest.
- Heat on stovetop or microwave on High 3 to 5 minutes, whisking every minute, until mixture boils and thickens. Cool; store in refrigerator.
* Recipe from “PamCooks: Favourite Recipes from the Trillium Cooking School” by Pam Collacott