Indonesian Pork Satays with Peanut Sauce
Published Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:05AM EST
Strips of tender Ontario pork threaded onto skewers take only a few minutes under the broiler or on the grill for a quick and easy appetizer that will appeal to all ages.
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless Ontario Pork Loin
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 3 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Coriander Leaves
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each minced fresh gingerroot, fresh lime juice and ground coriander
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted Ontario Redskin Peanuts
- 2 thin slices fresh gingerroot
- 1 Ontario Shallot, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
Cut pork into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick slices and then cut across the grain into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick strips. Place in large glass bowl.
In measuring cup, stir together soy sauce, garlic, fresh coriander, oil, ginger, lime juice, ground coriander, honey and red pepper flakes. Pour over pork, toss well, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Peanut Sauce: Meanwhile, in food processor, combine peanuts, ginger, shallot, honey and cayenne. Process until smooth. With motor running, add water in a slow stream. Transfer to small bowl and stir in lime juice. Sauce can be made up to several hours ahead, cover and refrigerate.
Thread 1 piece of pork onto each of 24 soaked skewers*. Place on broiler rack on greased pan. Place pan about 4-inches (10 cm) from broiling element and broil until browned, but still a touch of pink inside, 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Alternately place skewers on greased grill over medium-high heat and grill 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Serve hot with Peanut Sauce.
*Soak twenty-four 6-inch (15 cm) bamboo skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
Nutrients per serving
1 Serving (1 Satay with 1 tbsp/15 mL Peanut Sauce):
PROTEIN: 7 grams
FAT: 4.5 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 4 grams
FIBRE: 1 gram
SODIUM: 90 mg