Looneyspoons Recipe: Roasted Sweet Potato & White Bean Dip
A deliciously nutritious twist on traditional chickpea hummus, this simple bean dip gets a welcome beta-carotene boost from the addition of luscious sweet potatoes.
- 2 cups peeled, diced sweet potatoes
- 2 large whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans (cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp each ground cumin and sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
In a small bowl, combine sweet potatoes, garlic cloves and 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix well. Transfer mixture to a small baking pan. Roast uncovered at 425°F for about 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally to ensure even roasting. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
Add roasted potatoes, garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil and all remaining ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse on and off until mixture is smooth. Add water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
Chill at least 3 hours before serving to let flavors develop. Serve with cucumber rounds, bell pepper strips, brown rice crackers or whole-grain pita wedges.
Makes about 3 cups dip
Per serving (1/4 cup): 106 calories, 4.5 g total fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 4 g protein, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium