Protester who lost life savings regrets involvement with 'Freedom Convoy'
More than a month after the so-called "Freedom Convoy" occupied downtown Ottawa, one protester says he regrets taking part.
Martin Joseph Anglehart says he spent all of his life savings helping people with the convoy, and is now living out of his vehicle near Kenora, Ont.
Anglehart says he only joined the protest because he wanted to feel part of something after months of feeling lonely.
"I’m still as alone as I was two months ago," said the 41-year-old from his car. "I still don’t have friends and I still don’t have family. I’m living in the back of a fricken car, so yah, I regret going."
Anglehart joined the convoy in Medicine Hat, Alta., where he then travelled with the group to Ottawa in January.
He said he spent more than $13,000, his entire life savings.
Anglehart wasn’t passionate about the cause, but joined the convoy because he was upset that he wasn’t able to say goodbye to his closest friend in hospital, who later died of cancer, because of pandemic restrictions.
"Loneliness was one of the worst things for me," Anglehart said.
After arriving in the nation’s capital, he wanted to help and quickly got involved in transferring thousands of dollars in cash for occupiers, as well as purchasing food and fuel.
"They said 'We need gas, we need to keep the truck going,'" he said. “They said 'Keep your receipt and we will put it with the sheets' and I said 'Ok."
He was hopeful that he would be reimbursed from crowd-sourcing platforms, but that never happened.
Text messages provided by Anglehart show some of the exchanges, where he writes, "Appreciate it. I emptied my PayPal. I should have more money coming in. I spent all my savings.”
Then the worry set in, as he wrote in a text message, "I put in all my savings so far. Just worried.”
Anglehart says he was arrested on Feb. 15 for delivering fuel to the occupiers.
"I was given a piece of paper that said I had to be outside the radius of Ottawa and I left, the day before my account got frozen," he said.
He now wants to apologize to the residents of Ottawa for his involvement.
"I’m sorry to the people of Ottawa,” he said. "You had to endure all the horns and all the weirdos."
He said he is working to rebuild his life, as his bank account remains frozen.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Referencing 'In an emergency, break glass' signs, Bank of Canada official says, 'It's time to break the glass'
A senior Bank of Canada official says the need to improve productivity has reached an emergency level as the economy faces a future where inflation may be more of a threat than in the past few decades.
BREAKING Ontario to balance budget ahead of 2026 election, citing delay due to 'economic uncertainty'
Ontario is facing a larger than anticipated deficit but the Doug Ford government still plans to balance its books before the next provincial election.
Environment Canada issues alerts over heavy snowfall and freezing rain
Environment Canada has issued weather advisories for four provinces over freezing rain, poor air quality and heavy snowfall.
Number of CRA employees fired for claiming CERB up to 232
The number of Canada Revenue Agency employees who have been fired for improperly claiming the COVID-era Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) continues to climb, reaching 232.
opinion Tom Mulcair: Just give it time, and Poilievre's stances can turn on a dime
Pierre Poilievre has discovered the charm of saying one thing and its opposite in successive interviews, says former NDP leader Tom Mulcair in his column for CTVNews.ca, adding that it's a technique that could start to raise questions in the minds of the voting public about what the Conservative leader actually stands for.
Anne Hathaway had a miscarriage while acting as a pregnant woman onstage
Anne Hathaway has recounted a difficult moment in her journey to motherhood, saying she suffered a miscarriage in 2015 while acting in a play where she had 'to give birth onstage every night.'
Decades-old murder case of woman found in Ont. river delayed over concerns accused not fit for trial
After weeks of delays, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice has yet to determine whether the 82-year-old man accused of killing an American woman and dumping her body in a river in Ontario nearly 50 years ago is fit to stand trial.
Residents of this B.C. city lost more than $16M to 'pig butchering' scams last year, RCMP say
Since the start of 2023, residents of Richmond, B.C., have lost more than $16 million to "sophisticated online scams combining romance and investment schemes," according to local Mounties.
Open casting call in Calgary for new Netflix series
If you've ever dreamed of being on TV, this is your chance.