The flavourful punch comes from the fresh Ontario apples and vegetables. Scooping out a small portion of the rolls will keep the filling from spilling out – less mess. To complete the lunch, simply pack along a milk pudding and a fruit juice.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Makes 2-1/4 cups (550 mL)
- 1 medium Ontario Apple, cored and diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) cubed (1/2-inch/1 cm) leftover cooked turkey or chicken (or 1/2-inch/1 cm thick slice from deli, cubed)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Ontario Carrot
- 1 stalk Ontario Celery, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely minced Ontario Cooking Onion
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) mayonnaise
- Assorted whole grain rolls
In large bowl, combine apple and lemon juice. Add turkey, carrot, celery and onion; combine with mayonnaise.
Slice rolls horizontally nearly all the way through. Scoop out some of the soft bread (this will keep salad from spilling out of sandwiches). Spoon salad mixture into rolls. Close sandwich and cut in half. Place in reusable container or wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap.
1 Serving Turkey Salad (when recipe serves 4):
PROTEIN: 7 grams
FAT: 15 grams
CARBOHYDRATES: 8 grams