Getting back into routines and busy schedules after holiday time? Why not give your leftover turkey a twist of Tex-Mex flavour and have a cozy meal ready when you walk in the door.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 4-3/4 to 6-3/4 hours
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried romano beans, rinsed
- 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) mild or medium salsa
- 1 can (48 oz/1.36 L) tomato juice
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Ontario Red Onion, chopped
- 1 Ontario Sweet Potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 4 cups (1 L) coarsely chopped cooked Ontario Turkey, (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen Ontario Corn Kernels
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb (500 g) green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Coriander
In 5 to 6 quart slow-cooker, stir together beans, salsa, tomato juice, jalapeño pepper, bay leaves and red pepper flakes. Add red onion, sweet potato, turkey and flour, stirring to mix together.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours, until bubbling and sweet potato is tender.
Stir in corn, red pepper and green beans; cover and continue to cook on high for 45 minutes. Discard bay leaves, stir in coriander.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 8):
PROTEIN: 26 grams
FAT: 1 gram
CARBOHYDRATE: 45 grams
FIBRE: 9 grams
SODIUM: 945 mg