Ottawa News | Local Breaking | CTV News Ottawa
Spring metabolism boosters
Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice Carrot Cake and Sweet Potato Overnight Oats
Protein first thing in the morning helps to stabilize the blood sugar helping to decrease sugar cravings during the day. A great source of protein in the am is Greek yogurt. Try combining it with veggies in this easy recipe that children love to make too!
- 1/2 cup of vanilla Greek yogurt (2%)
- 1/4 cup each of organic grated carrot and sweet potato
- 3 Tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1/2 cup of gluten-free oats
- 1/4 cup of your favorite nuts or seeds (try hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts or macadamia nuts for a fun change)
- Pinch each of powdered ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg
Add all the above ingredients in the order above to a mason jar (large or small) and seal.
Turn upside down in the fridge (to allow all ingredients to combine) and enjoy veggies in a smart way in the morning!
Dandy Dandelion Detox Spring Salad
- 1 can (19 oz.) of drained, canned lentils
- 1/2 cup chopped of your choice of organic peppers
- 1/4 cup of chopped red onion
- 1 ounce of feta cheese
- 2 cups of organic arugula
- 1/2 cup dandelion greens, chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and balsamic vinegar
Gently combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
Combine arugula and dandelion greens and divide into 2 portions and place on a plate.
Top arugula/dandelion greens mixture with lentil mixture.
Top with colorful wildflower petals for a nice spring burst of color.
Kale Caeser Salad
- 3 cups of organic baby kale
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup of gluten-free croutons
- 1/2 cup of crumbled tempeh
- 1 Tablespoon of Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon of Caeser Salad dressing
Combine all of the above and serve.