Ottawa News | Local Breaking | CTV News Ottawa
Organic = awesome
Maple Glazed Organic Sweet Potato Donuts
- 3 tbsp (45ml) milled organic flax seed
- 3/4 cup (175ml) organic apple cider
- 1-1/4 cup (300ml) cooked and mashed organic sweet potato (about 2 small potatoes)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) organic maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30ml) melted organic coconut oil
- 1 tbsp (15ml) organic apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup (175ml) organic coconut flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) organic almond flour
- 3 tbsp (45ml) organic arrowroot flour
- 2 tsp (10ml) organic baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2ml) organic baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2ml) each organic cinnamon, organic allspice and organic kosher or organic sea salt
- 1/4 tsp (1ml) organic nutmeg
Maple Glaze Ingredients
- 1-1/4 cup (300ml) organic maple sugar
- 2 tsp - 1tbsp (10ml-15ml) organic coconut milk or nut milk
Decorate with organic sprinkles or organic dried flower petals or drizzle with organic chocolate
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a large bowl, combine flax seed and apple cider; let sit for 10 minutes to thicken slightly.
Meanwhile, in another bowl, whisk together coconut flour, almond flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder, baking
soda, cinnamon, allspice, salt and nutmeg; pour into wet ingredients and stir to combine.
Stir in sweet potato, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vinegar to flax mixture.
Scrape into a piping bag fitted with a large plain tip.
Brush two donut pans with coconut oil and pipe mixture equally into each donut mold.
Alternately, mixture can be piped directly onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake donuts for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely before dipping into maple glaze.
To prepare glaze; ensure your blender is thoroughly dry; blend maple sugar on high speed until sugar is powdered.
Pour into a bowl and add 2 tsp or up to 1tbsp coconut milk to reach desired glaze consistency. Dip tops of donuts,
decorate as desired and let set.
Will keep for up to three days lightly covered.
Makes 12 donuts
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Fresh Organic Pizza Wrap
- 1-1/2 cups sliced assorted organic mushrooms
- 3 tbsp organic balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp organic olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp each organic salt and pepper
- 1 (210g) brick of sriracha smoked or smoked organic tofu, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups shredded organic mozzarella
- 1 cup thinly sliced organic green pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced organic yellow pepper
- 2 organic tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced organic red onion
- 1/4 cup organic basil leaves
- 8 organic coconut wraps
- 1/2 cup organic sundried tomatoes
- 1 large organic plum tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp each fresh organic basil and organic oregano
- 1 tbsp each fresh organic rosemary and organic thyme
- 1 clove organic garlic
Combine mushrooms, vinegar, 1 tbsp oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and let marinate for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a blender, pulse sundried tomatoes, plum tomato, 2 tbsp olive oil, basil, oregano,
rosemary, thyme, and garlic to a paste.
Spread 1 tbsp tomato sauce mixture on centre of wrap; layer with 1/4 cup tofu, 3 tbsp shredded
mozzarella, about 2 tbsp of mushroom mix, a few slices each green pepper, yellow pepper, tomatoes,
red onion and a few basil leaves. Roll up wrap leaving ends open.
Makes 8 wraps
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: n/a
Note – if you are on a time crunch you can skip the sauce making steps and just buy premade organic
tomato sauce at your local CHAF Member health food store.
Savoury Organic Bliss Balls
- 1 (398ml) can organic chickpeas
- 1 cup (250ml) shelled organic raw pistachios
- 1/4 cup (60ml) organic tahini
- 1 tbsp (15ml) dried organic fine herbs
- 1 tsp (5ml) organic kosher or organic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp (2ml) each organic garlic and organic onion powder
- 1/4 tsp (1ml) red pepper flakes (or more for increased heat)
- Juice and zest of 1 organic lemon
- 1/2 cup (125ml) organic raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup (60ml) organic coconut oil, melted
- Choice of organic hemp hearts, dried organic coconut, organic sesame seeds, organic chia seeds and/or
- organic flax seeds for coating the balls
In a food processor, add chickpeas, pistachios, tahini, herbs, salt, garlic and onion powder, red pepper
flakes, lemon juice and zest. Pulse to coarse paste. Remove to a bowl; stir in pumpkin seeds and coconut
Roll into 1 tbsp sized balls and coat in choice of hemp hearts, seeds or coconut.
Keep covered and refrigerated for up to one week or place in the freezer for up to six weeks.
Serve as a snack, in a bento box, or on a fresh salad.
They can also be made nut free by swapping out the cup of pistachios for a cup of pumpkin seeds.
Makes about 30 balls
Prep time: 25 minutes