Hot and Sour Soup
- 4 Ontario Baby Bok Choy
- 4 cups (1 L) no-salt-added chicken broth
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 2 boneless skinless Ontario Chicken Thighs, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced Ontario Mushrooms
- 1 cup (250 mL) julienned Ontario Carrots
- 4 oz (125 g) thin rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario Bean Sprouts
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sriracha sauce
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 Ontario Egg
Cut leafy ends off bok choy, leave small leaves whole and slice larger leaves into bite-size pieces; cut stem ends into slices (keep separate from leaves). Set aside.
In large pot, combine broth, 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, ginger and garlic; cover and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken, mushrooms, carrots and reserved bok choy stems. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling water, cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and divide among bowls.
Add bean sprouts, vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha and sesame oil to soup pot; return to boil. In small bowl, stir cornstarch with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of cold water until smooth. Stir into pot and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes, reducing heat if necessary.
In measuring cup, whisk egg; slowly pour in a thin stream around the edge of the pot and stir once or twice to form fine egg threads. Stir in reserved bok choy leaves. Ladle soup over noodles.
One boneless, skinless Ontario Chicken Breast can be substituted for the thighs.
If using shiitake mushrooms be sure to remove and discard stems, slice only caps.
Nutrients per serving
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6):
- Calories: 190
- Protein: 13 grams
- Fat: 4 grams
- Carbohydrate: 24 grams
- Fibre: 2 grams
- Sodium: 590 mg