Seasoned Pumpkin Seeds
Preparation Time: 3 hours to overnight
Drying Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Makes 2 cups (500 mL)
- Seeds from 1 large Ontario Pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
Remove all strings and any remaining pulp from pumpkin seeds. Spread 2 cups (500 ml) seeds on large baking sheet with sides. Let stand at room temperature to dry, 3 to 4 hours or overnight, stirring once or twice.
Sprinkle seeds with salt. Gather seeds into middle of baking sheet; drizzle with oil, stirring until evenly coated. Spread out seeds on sheet. Roast on bottom rack of 350F (180C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden, stirring every 5 minutes. Turn into bowl. Sprinkle with Cajun or Sugar 'n' Spice Seasoning, stirring to evenly coat seeds. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in covered jar in refrigerator.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each chili powder and cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each cayenne pepper and garlic powder
In small dish, combine chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Makes enough for 2 cups (500 ml) seeds.
Sugar ‘n Spice Seasoning:
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) allspice
In small dish, combine sugar, cinnamon and allspice. Makes enough for 2 cups (500 mL) seeds.