Second apartment fire this week on Donald Street
A second high-rise apartment building was evacuated after an overnight fire, just days after its neighbouring building was closed for two days from an electrical fire.
Ottawa Fire Services said it responded to a fire at 1240 Donald Street in east Ottawa around 11:45 p.m. Friday night, after multiple calls of smoke and fire coming from a second-floor apartment.
They said they contained the fire to that apartment, with smoke damage throughout that floor's hallway.
The building was partially evacuated, with seven people treated by paramedics.
A nine-year-old boy with mild smoke inhalation was the only one taken to hospital, where paramedics said he was in stable condition.
The fire was under control by 12:30 a.m. Saturday, according to fire crews, with everyone but the second floor allowed back in at 1:30 a.m.
All tenants were back inside by 2:06 a.m., except for the two people living in that apartment who were displaced.
Fire crews said the fire was accidental, caused by an improperly disposed cigarette in the bedroom. There was $75,000 damage to the building and $25,000 to the apartment's contents.
This apartment is next to the high-rise at 1244 Donald Street, which was evacuated from Monday to Wednesday after an electrical fire.
Both buildings are owned by the same company.