Russell Williams victim files $7 million lawsuit
TORONTO - Reports that a woman bound and sexually assaulted by Russell Williams is suing the convicted sex killer comes as no surprise to one of the former colonel's lawyers.
A lawsuit reportedly filed by Laurie Massicotte also targets Williams' estranged wife and Ontario provincial police.
Michael Edelson, who represented Williams in an intense week-long criminal trial last year, said the suit is "not unexpected."
But the lawyer declined to discuss the document, saying he hasn't seen it -- nor has his client called about it.
"I can't comment on something I haven't seen," he said Sunday.
OPP Sgt. Pierre Chamberland said he didn't have any information about the suit and also couldn't comment on its allegations.
Massicotte, who chose to reveal her identity and speak publicly about her ordeal, could not be reached for comment on Sunday. Neither could her lawyer, J. David M. Ross.
The Toronto Star reported Sunday she is seeking for $7 million in damages, including pain, suffering and emotional and mental distress as a result of the assault in September 2009.
The Star said the suit was filed in Ontario's Superior Court of Justice on Friday.
The newspaper says the legal documents allege that once police responded to her 911 call, they left Massicotte tied up for hours while they documented and gathered evidence of the assault.
The paper also says the statement of claim accuses police of withholding information on the identity of Massicotte's attacker for nearly five months, even though Williams was her neighbour at the time.
Massicotte, a mother of two, has blasted police for not alerting the public to previous sexual assaults and a string of fetish break-ins in the community.
The allegations have not been proven in court and no statement of defence has been filed -- nor has the suit been served.
Another of Williams' victims, whose name cannot be disclosed under a publication ban, has filed a $2.45-million suit against him and his wife.
Williams was convicted in October of first-degree murder in the sex slayings of Cpl. Marie-France Comeau, 37, of Brighton, Ont., and Jessica Lloyd, 27, of Belleville, Ont.
The former commander of Canada's largest military airfield also pleaded guilty to 82 fetish break-and-enters and thefts as well as two sexual assaults.
Williams methodically chronicled and catalogued his crimes, shooting videos and still photos of himself in the act and amassing a huge collection of undergarments stolen from women and girls. Dozens of gruesome photos were shown during his trial.
He is currently serving a life sentence in Kingston Penitentiary with no possibility of parole for 25 years.
The Canadian Forces stripped him of his rank of colonel after his conviction.
His wife has since filed for divorce.