Ottawa police are investigating another site in south Ottawa that's connected to human remains found in the yard of an accused serial killer on Halloween.

Police said they began digging Wednesday in a wooded area in Heatherington Park on Heatherington Road around 9:00 a.m., near where accused serial killer Camille Cleroux used to live.

"We're looking for any evidence in connection to the previous investigation at 1535 Heatherington," said Insp. Mike Callaghan of the Ottawa police, referring to remains found there on Oct. 31 

"As a result of the investigation and the information we received, those areas were identified and that's why we're commencing with the archeological dig."

CTV Ottawa's Catherine Lathem said two tents and a backhoe were on site all Tuesday as police had started to dig.

People in a bordering apartment building said they noticed a small, non-uniformed police presence there last week, mowing the lawn and walking around with dogs.

"I just moved to the neighbourhood – at first I thought it would be a pretty safe place to live until I started hearing stories, and now this," said Esther Madzingr. "I don't feel like I want to be here anymore."

Remains found near accused serial killer's homes

Neighbours said Cleroux, a man accused of three murders over a span of 20 years, used to live at 1535 Heatherington Road.

His wife Lise Roy disappeared in 1990 as he lived at the townhouse - her body was never found.

Cleroux then moved to an apartment on Fairlea Crescent where he lived with his common-law wife Jean Rock, who disappeared in 2003. Her body was also never recovered.

Police haven't commented on speculation they're looking for her body at the park.

Last year Paula Leclair went missing from the same Fairlea Crescent apartment, but her body was found a few days later at the Walkley train yards close to where she lived.

Cleroux was going through preliminary hearings to determine if there was enough evidence to bring him to trial on these three counts of first-degree murder, but that hearing was adjourned earlier this month.  

Police said Wednesday they would likely be at the second site for days as part of the latest investigation.

The first set of remains from the home where he lived in with Roy was sent to a forensics lab in Toronto for assessment and identification.

Police said on Nov. 4 that process could take months.

With reports from CTV Ottawa's Catherine Lathem and Karen Soloman