The Ottawa Police Arson Unit and Ontario Fire Marshal are assisting with the investigation into an overnight fire at St. Francis of Assisi School in Orleans. 

Firefighters responded to multiple 911 calls just after 2 a.m. reporting flames on the roof of the school on Watters Road.

Officials say due to the size of the fire and propane tanks on the roof, firefighters had to launch a defensive attack on the blaze. 

The fire was contained to the duct work on the roof of the school. Firefighters were forced to remove the materials from the roof. 

There are no reports of injuries.

Damage is estimated at $1 million.

St. Francis of Assisi School issued a statement on its website, saying "it is with sadness that we report a serious fire at St. Francis of Assisi School early this morning. The good news is that nobody was hurt."

Statement from Principal Carole Parent:

"Dear parents and guardians -


In the early morning hours of July 4, St. Francis of Assisi School was damaged in a serious fire. We are relieved and grateful to report that there were no injuries. Most of the damage to the school is confined to the roof.


We understand that this is unwelcome news for the school community. Ottawa Catholic School Board staff are on the scene to provide assistance to Ottawa police and fire services. After the Fire Marshall’s Office has completed their investigation, we will begin the work of restoring this wonderful community school."