Ottawa board of health calls for three-dose passport discussion
The Ottawa Board of Health is asking the city’s top doctor to petition the province to consider requiring third doses for vaccine passports.
In a monthly meeting Monday night, the board passed a motion asking Etches to talk to provincial officials about requiring third doses for vaccine passports.
Chair Keith Egli says we need to have an open dialogue with the province where every option is on the table to ensure life can get back to normal.
“Nobody wants to close businesses again, nobody wants to close schools again, people want to see their families. So it’s about having that discussion and trying to figure our what is the best way forward,” Egli said. “We want to make progress, we want it to be sustainable.”
Medical officer of health Dr. Vera Etches said there are still many people who have not been infected by the Omicron variant, so precautions are still required.
“We need to think about what our policy approach and our other measures that could make a difference,” Etches said.
“What is clear is we need to think about all the levers to increase the protection in our population,” Etches added. “That third dose means your risk of hospitalizion has dropped by 90 per cent compared to two, which is 70 per cent.”
Premier Doug Ford last week said the province would not move to establishing three-dose proof of vaccination requirements, but faced increased pressure from the opposition again Tuesday.
“I believe this is that moment to take the extra step to show real responsible, competent and strong leadership,” Liberal Leader Steven Del Duca said, while calling for the province to mandate the vaccine passport to access provincial liquor and cannabis stores and to change the definition of the vaccine passport to require three doses.
The calls come with less than a week before Ontario reopens, and omicron cases still high in the capital.
“We support anything that can be done to keep businesses open,” Sueling Ching, President of the Ottawa Board of Trade said on CTV News at Noon.
“It’s the vaccines along with increased testing, following health protocols, these are all things that inspire consumer and employee confidence and allow businesses to continue to stay open,” she continued.
Etches expressing cautions optimism that the city is seeing a slow decline in transmission of the virus after reaching a peak earlier in January, the best way out continuing to be vaccinations.
"Overall we are looking for a way to move through this wave,” Etches said. “We are trying to take a comprehensive look at what we can do at this point to be cautious and increase vaccination.”
In Ottawa 59 per cent of eligible adults have a third dose but it’s less than half province-wide.
“Two doses was a great start, the message should be you need a third dose to give you that extra added level of protection for you and people around you,” Dr. Ronald St. John, former Federal Manager to the SARS response said.
Ottawa residents reacting to the potential changes Tuesday.
“I don’t think it’s necessary at this point in the pandemic, particularly for younger people I don’t think it’s necessary; maybe for older people it would be advantageous but probably not entirely necessary,” Nick Nantais said.
“If three vaccines are what boosts immunity then I think that three is what should count as a full vaccine passport,” Sherry Babour countered.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
More than 10,000 Canadians received a medically-assisted death in 2021: report
More Canadians are ending their lives with a medically-assisted death, says the third federal annual report on medical assistance in dying (MAID). Data shows that 10,064 people died in 2021 with medical aid, an increase of 32 per cent over 2020.

Author Salman Rushdie on ventilator after he was stabbed on lecture stage in New York
Salman Rushdie, whose novel 'The Satanic Verses' drew death threats from Iran's leader in the 1980s, was stabbed in the neck and abdomen Friday by a man who rushed the stage as the author was about to give a lecture in western New York.
Anne Heche legally dead, remains on life support for donor evaluation
Anne Heche remains on life support and under evaluation for organ donation after a car crash that led to her brain death, a representative for the actor said Friday.
FBI seized 'top secret' documents from Trump home
The FBI recovered documents that were labelled 'top secret' from former U.S. President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, according to court papers released Friday after a federal judge unsealed the warrant that authorized the unprecedented search this week.
Passengers tackle Canadian man after he became violent, tried to open plane doors mid-flight
A plane bound for Toronto has been forced to divert to Iceland after a Canadian man allegedly became violent and tried to open the aircraft door mid-air.
Canadian who sold his possessions, used up his savings to deliver aid in Ukraine makes a plea for help
Canadian Adam Oake is among volunteers delivering aid to civilians in Ukraine, but he says donations are drying up and he's issuing a plea for help.
Canadian universities earned record-high surplus revenues during COVID-19: StatCan
Canadian universities reported record-high surplus revenues in wake of the pandemic as schools took advantage of last year's strong stock market performance.
EXCLUSIVE | Woman who was stalked by police officer ex-boyfriend says justice system failed her
Despite a police misconduct probe that found a high-ranking B.C. officer had stalked and harassed his ex-girlfriend for years, a criminal investigation into the case did not result in charges.
Canada to test wastewater for polio
Canada plans to start testing wastewater for poliovirus in a number of cities “as soon as possible” following new reports of cases abroad, the Public Health Agency of Canada confirmed on Friday.