Ottawa News | Local Breaking | CTV News Ottawa
Ontario Vegetable Curry
Golden squash, creamy white potatoes and green coriander make this a colourful, warming meal. It will be especially welcome on a brisk night. To provide complete protein, serve with rice and lentils (optional). Or add cooked cubed meat: chicken, turkey, pork or beef.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 3 medium Ontario Potatoes (about 1 lb/500 g), peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) curry powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) cubed peeled Ontario Butternut Squash (about half medium squash)
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) lentils (optional) drained and rinsed Salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh coriander leaves
- Hot cooked rice
In Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, green pepper and garlic; cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes; sprinkle with curry, flour, cumin and pepper; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
Stir in broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add squash; simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in lentils, if using, and cook just until heated through. Season with salt and more pepper to taste. Sprinkle with coriander and serve over rice.
Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 5.0 grams
- Fat: 4.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 31.9 grams
- Calories: 180