Ontario sets one-day COVID-19 case record; 86 new cases in Ottawa on Sunday
OTTAWA -- On the day Ontario recorded more than 1,000 new cases of COVID-19 for the first time, Ottawa Public Health announced 86 new cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa on Sunday.
There are also two new deaths linked to COVID-19 in Ottawa.
Since the first case of COVID-19 on March 11, there have been 6,560 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa, including 316 deaths.
Public Health Ontario announced 80 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday. Sometimes there is a discrepancy in case reporting between Ottawa Public Health and provincial officials.
Ottawa Public Health reported 90 new cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa on Saturday, and 88 new cases on Friday.
Public Health Ontario reported 1,042 new cases of COVID-19 across Ontario on Saturday, setting another record for the number of new infections in a single day. There are 309 new cases in Toronto, 289 in Peel Region and 117 in York Region.
The record number of COVID-19 cases in Ontario comes two weeks after the Thanksgiving long weekend.
ACTIVE CASES OF COVID-19 IN OTTAWA
There are 702 active cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa on Sunday, up from 688 active cases on Saturday.
Ottawa Public Health reports 5,542 people have recovered after testing positive for COVID-19.
The number of active cases is the number of total laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 minus the numbers of resolved cases and deaths. A case is considered resolved 14 days after known symptom onset or positive test result.
HOSPITALIZATIONS IN OTTAWA
Ottawa Public Health reports 43 people are in an Ottawa-area hospital with COVID-19 related illnesses.
Four people are in the intensive care unit.
CASES OF COVID-19 IN OTTAWA BY AGE CATEGORY
Here is a breakdown of all known COVID-19 cases in Ottawa by age category:
- 0-9 years old: Seven new cases (410 cases total)
- 10-19 years-old: 12 new cases (713 cases total)
- 20-29 years-old: Six new cases (1,405 cases total)
- 30-39 years-old: 11 new cases (872 cases total)
- 40-49 years-old: 19 new cases (848 cases total)
- 50-59 years-old: 10 new cases (770 cases total)
- 60-69-years-old: Seven new cases (522 cases total)
- 70-79 years-old: Two new cases (336 cases total)
- 80-89 years-old: Seven new cases (409 cases total)
- 90+ years old: Five new cases (275 cases total)
COVID-19 CASES ACROSS THE REGION
There are 17 new cases of COVID-19 in the Eastern Ontario Health Unit region on Sunday. Public Health reported 60 new cases of COVID-19 in the region this weekend.
One new case was reported in Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox & Addington Public Health region.
Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit is reporting four new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday.
There are two new cases of COVID-19 in Renfrew County.
Ottawa Public Health is reporting COVID-19 outbreaks at 66 institutions in Ottawa, including long-term care homes, retirement homes, daycares, hospitals and schools.
A new COVID-19 outbreak has been declared at Alta Vista Manor. One resident has tested positive for novel coronavirus.
The COVID-19 outbreaks are over at Villa Marconi and Carlingview Manor, along with Andrew Fleck Children's Services and École élémentaire publique Seraphin Marion
The schools and childcare spaces currently experiencing outbreaks are:
- Academie Providence Seours Antonines School
- All Saints High School
- Children's Place Civic
- École secondaire Catholique Franco-Cité
- Foster Farm Daycare
- Gabrielle Roy school
- Global Childcare Services
- Grandir Ensemble - La Maisonée
- Grandir Ensemble – Pierre Elliott-Trudeau
- Guardian Angels School
- Kanata Montessori
- Matreshka Child Care Centre
- Peak Academy School
- St. Joseph High School
- St. Peter High School
- St. Rita Catholic School
- The Children's Place Annex Location
The long-term care homes, retirement homes, hospitals, and other spaces currently experiencing outbreaks are:
- Alta Vista Manor (NEW)
- Association pour intégration sociale d'Ottawa – 2
- Association pour intégration sociale d'Ottawa – 3
- Association pour intégration sociale d'Ottawa – 4
- Association pour intégration sociale d'Ottawa – 6
- Association pour intégration sociale d'Ottawa – 7
- Bairn Croft Residential Services
- Bairn Croft Residential Services - French Hill Residence
- Bridlewood Retirement home
- Centre d'accueil Champlain
- Centre de soins de longue durée Montfort long-term care home
- Christian Horizons 9
- Cité Parkway Retirement Residence
- Colonel By retirement home
- Edinburgh Retirement Home
- Emergency Housing West
- Extendicare New Orchard Lodge
- Forest Hill long-term care home
- Garry J. Armstrong
- Governor's Walk
- Granite Ridge Care Community
- Hillel Lodge
- Innovative Community Support Services
- Innovative Community Support Services (Barnwell)
- Jardin Royal Garden
- Laurier Manor
- Longfields Manor
- Manoir Marochel
- New Edinburgh Square Chartwell
- Park Place
- Perley Rideau Veterans' Health Centre - Gatineau Building
- Peter D. Clark long-term care home
- Residence St. Louis
- Riverpath Retirement
- Robertson Home
- Rockcliffe Retirement
- Royal Ottawa Hospital -- Geriatric South
- Sisters of Charity retirement home
- St. Patrick's Home
- St. Vincent Hospital 5 North
- Tamir Foundation
- The Ottawa Hospital General Campus 5N
- The Ottawa Hospital General Campus 6W
- The Ravines retirement home
- Walk of Grace Residential Services – 1
- Walk of Grace Residential Services – 2
- West End Villa
- Wildpine Retirement Home
A single laboratory-confirmed case of COVID-19 in a resident or staff member of a long-term care home, retirement home or shelter triggers an outbreak response, according to Ottawa Public Health. In childcare settings, a single confirmed, symptomatic case in a staff member, home daycare provider, or child triggers an outbreak.
Under provincial guidelines, a COVID-19 outbreak in a school is defined as two or more lab-confirmed COVID-19 cases in students and/or staff in a school with an epidemiological link, within a 14-day period, where at least one case could have reasonably acquired their infection in the school (including transportation and before or after school care).