No cause for weekend fire, search continues for lost cat
Published Monday, March 29, 2010 5:30PM EDT
There's still no cause for a fire that left 10 people homeless after flames burned through an apartment complex in the Glebe this weekend.
Although some tenants had insurance, many in the six-unit apartment building lost items that can never be replaced.
"(Insurance) doesn't bring everything back. It'll bring back clothes, the furniture, but it doesn't bring back all the memories you've made over the years," said Josh Garby.
Garby and his partner Megan Quinn are now on a desperate search for their cat Morry. The grey tabby was in their Monk Street apartment when flames ripped through the building Saturday morning. By afternoon, fire officials had no choice but to tear it down.
The fire apparently started on the third floor near the attic, quickly spreading to the rest of the house.
Officials predict the fire caused at least $750,000 in damage to the building, and another $250,000 in damage to contents.
Searching for Morry
Quinn says her things can be replaced, but her cat cannot. She is now clinging to hope that Morry managed to escape.
"It's hard. All this stuff, it's just stuff. But Morry's really important to us," Quinn told CTV Ottawa on Monday.
"He did start off as a rescue cat and we're really hoping that that's going to be the case again."
Quinn wasn't home when fire tore through her home on Saturday morning. She returned from a medical trip to find the building reduced to rubble.
"My first thought was the cat and how I should've taken him," Quinn said.
Most of the displaced tenants are staying with family and friends; three are being put up in a hotel by the Red Cross.
The building next door also suffered minor smoke and water damage, forcing two tenants out of their homes.
The owner of that building told CTV Ottawa most homes in the Glebe are old, and once a fire starts, it's hard to stop the flames from spreading quickly.
"They're all over 100 years old and they're solid wood inside. And it's a balloon construction, so you get updraft and so the flames can just go through in a big hurry," said Elizabeth Robertson.
Third fire in four months
No one was injured in the weekend blaze. Firefighters have also determined the building did have working smoke detectors.
It's the third house fire in the Glebe in the last four months. A home on Thornton Avenue went up in flames on Christmas, causing about $350,000 in damage. A few weeks later an apartment complex on Glebe Avenue was destroyed by fire, forcing fire crews to demolish that building.
Fire officials say everyone is vulnerable to fire and people need to be prepared in case it happens to them.
"It's important people be careful about fires -- think about fires year-round. It could happen to anybody, it doesn't discriminate," said Pierre Savary, spokesperson for Ottawa Fire Services.
With a report from CTV Ottawa's John Hua