The head of OC Transpo “had to wake some people up” at the Rideau Transit Group Saturday morning following another round of significant delays on the system, according to Allan Hubley, the chair of the transit commission.

Just before 6 a.m. OC Transpo sent out alerts notifying riders of delays as a result of a technical issue during the morning launch.

An issue with the monitoring system on two trains Thursday morning also meant delays getting the trains on the line.

Around 6:30 a.m. Saturday an immobilized train at Parliament station also created delays for passengers. 

Rider Natalie McNab says she is losing faith in transit. "Because of my experience with LRT. Them saying it is on track and on time, it being late, breaking down all the time. Them telling us there are going to be delays... it is a mess." 

Another rider Anna Sharkova says the delays "are annoying. But is doesn't surprise me." 

Transit Commission Chair Allan Hubley says he too is experiencing a new level of frustration. Hubley says OC Transpo staff is working nonstop. He says, "I don't see the issues here with OC Transpo employees or else we would be working on that... this is all on RTG...  I am running out of patience here with these guys - step up! We need you now." 

Hubley considers Monday another big test; transit will be free for thousands heading downtown for Remembrance Day. "People in Ottawa have a lot of respect for veterans and I think RTG can make the sacrifice and make sure the trains are running properly on Monday and every day forward." 

The delays come a day after Hubley and the mayor announced the intention to freeze OC Transpo fares as a result of intense pressure over problems with transit. Hubley and Mayor Jim Watson announced late Friday they were recommending freezing transit fares for January, February and March.

According to Watson, the cost of the freeze will be covered by funds withheld from maintenance payments to the Rideau Transit Group. RTG is the consortium responsible for building phase one of the new LRT system.

Issues on Saturday morning persisted for about two hours until full service resumed just after 9:30 a.m.