Nectarine Blueberry Slice
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) granulated sugar
- 4 Ontario Eggs
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla
- 2-3/4 cups (675 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 to 3 Ontario Nectarines, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario Blueberries
- Icing sugar
Line a 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 inch (39 x 26 cm) rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
In large bowl using electric mixer, cream butter with sugar for about one minute. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla until smooth. In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt; beat into creamed mixture at medium speed until blended.
Spread batter into prepared baking sheet. Top with nectarine slices, pressing slightly into batter. Scatter blueberries over top.
Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned and tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Dust top with icing sugar.
Tip: Sprinkle top with 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced almonds before baking.Nutritional information
Family-Style Grilled Italian Sandwich
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Grilling Time: 5 minutes
- 4 oz (125 g) very thin Ontario Turkey or Veal Scaloppini
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each dried basil and oregano leaves
- Pinch each salt and black pepper
- 1 Ontario Sweet Red Pepper, cored and cut into 4 wide strips
- 1 round sourdough or Italian loaf, about 7 inches (18 cm) across
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) black olive paste (tapenade)
- 1 Ontario Tomato, thinly sliced
- Half pkg (130 g pkg) Ontario Goat Cheese, crumbled
- 1 Ontario Pear, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely shredded Ontario Lettuce
If turkey is not thinly sliced, pound to make it thinner. In small bowl, stir together oil, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; brush over both sides of turkey and inside of pepper pieces. Place on greased grill over medium-high heat; grill until turkey is no longer pink inside and pepper begins to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Slice loaf in half to form top and bottom. Using fingers, hollow out bread, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) sides. Hollowed out bread can be ground to make crumbs. Spread inside of both halves with olive paste. Place pepper on bottom half. Layer with turkey, tomato, goat cheese, pear then lettuce. Finish with top of bread. Squish together. Using serrated knife, cut into 4 to 6 wedges.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 2 large cobs Ontario Corn
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Orange Pepper
- 2 large cloves Ontario Garlic, crushed
- 2 cups (500 mL) bite-size pieces Ontario Green Beans (1-inch/ 2.5 cm)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) coarsely chopped Ontario Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced fresh Ontario Basil Leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- Garnish: fresh Ontario Basil Leaves (optional)
Slice kernels off corn cobs; set aside. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook orange pepper and garlic, stirring, for 1 minute.
Stir in corn, green beans and water; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or just until beans are tender-crisp.
Stir in tomatoes, sliced basil, salt and pepper; cook, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes or just until tomatoes are warm. Garnish with basil leaves (if using). Serve hot or at room temperature.
Indonesian Pork Satays with Peanut Sauce
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Marinating Time: up to 4 Hours
Broiling Time: 4 minutes
Makes 24 pieces
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless Ontario Pork Loin
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 3 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Coriander Leaves
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each minced fresh gingerroot, fresh lime juice and ground coriander
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted Ontario Redskin Peanuts
- 2 thin slices fresh gingerroot
- 1 Ontario Shallot, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
Cut pork into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick slices and then cut across the grain into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick strips. Place in large glass bowl.
In measuring cup, stir together soy sauce, garlic, fresh coriander, oil, ginger, lime juice, ground coriander, honey and red pepper flakes. Pour over pork, toss well, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Peanut Sauce: Meanwhile, in food processor, combine peanuts, ginger, shallot, honey and cayenne. Process until smooth. With motor running, add water in a slow stream. Transfer to small bowl and stir in lime juice. Sauce can be made up to several hours ahead, cover and refrigerate.
Thread 1 piece of pork onto each of 24 soaked skewers*. Place on broiler rack on greased pan. Place pan about 4-inches (10 cm) from broiling element and broil until browned, but still a touch of pink inside, 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Alternately place skewers on greased grill over medium-high heat and grill 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Serve hot with Peanut Sauce.
*Soak twenty-four 6-inch (15 cm) bamboo skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes.