Today’s recipes are from Foodland Ontario www.foodlandontario.ca
SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP WITH MAPLE
Serves 4 to 6.
- 2 Ontario onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large Ontario butternut squash, peeled and chopped, about 5 cups chopped
- 2 Ontario apples, peeled, cored, cubed
- 2 cloves Ontario garlic
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Ontario thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons Ontario maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pumpkin seeds
- In large pot, cook onions in butter over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add squash, apples, garlic, broth, 1 cup of water, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until squash is tender. Let cool slightly.
- In batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return to pot and stir in maple syrup and nutmeg. Reheat soup until hot. Serve garnished with pumpkin seeds. This soup freezes well.
BAKED ONION RINGS PARMESAN
- 2 large Ontario onions
- ½ cup each: dry breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon each: dried oregano leaves and salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Ontario eggs
- Cut onions in ¼-inch thick slices; separate into rings.
- In shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs, cheese, basil, oregano, salt and garlic powder. In separate shallow dish, lightly beat eggs. Dip onion rings in egg to coat, letting excess drip off. Dip into breadcrumbs, pressing lightly to coat. Place on large parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes..
- Turn onion rings over. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F and bake another 15 to 20 minutes or until tender yet crisp. Serve with salsa.
QUINOA SALAD WITH APPLES, FETA AND HERBS
Serves 4 to 6.
- 1 cup quinoa
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Ontario garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 Ontario greenhouse sweet pepper, cored and diced
- 2 Ontario green onions, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup crumbled Ontario feta cheese
- Mixed fresh Ontario herbs (such as mint, chives, parsley, etc)
- 2 Ontario apples, cored, chopped (can substitute Ontario Bartlett pears in season)
- Place quinoa in sieve. Rinse quinoa in cold water; drain well. In saucepan, bring 2 cups of water and ½ teaspoon salt to boil. Gradually add quinoa. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook until water is absorbed and grain is transparent and tender, 13 to 15 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Transfer to large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile in small bowl, whisk together oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, garlic, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir sweet pepper, green onions, feta and herbs into cooled quinoa. Toss with dressing.
- To serve, core and chop apples; stir into salad. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired.