Dominican Republic Carrot Cake
Carrot cakes are one of the most popular desserts in the Dominican Republic. Juicy carrots keep it moist, so this is an ideal cake to make ahead for the holidays.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each baking soda and salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon
- 4 Ontario Eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) each vegetable oil and packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 mL) rum extract
- 4 cups (1 L) grated Ontario Carrots (about 4 large)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely grated lime rind
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 2 pkgs (250 g each) brick cream cheese, at room temperature, each cut into 8 pieces
- 4 cups (1 L) sifted icing sugar
Lightly oil two 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon; make well in centre; set aside.
In large bowl, using electric mixer, on medium speed, beat together eggs, oil, brown sugar, vanilla and rum extract for 2 minutes. Pour into flour mixture and stir until evenly mixed. Stir in carrots and cranberries. Divide batter between pans and roughly smooth tops.
Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until cakes spring back when tapped in the centre, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pans on wire rack for 15 minutes. Run knife around edges. Turn out onto rack and cool completely. Cake will keep at room temperature for 2 days, in refrigerator for a week, or freeze up to 2 months.
Icing: In medium bowl, using electric mixer, beat butter, lime rind, lime juice and vanilla, until creamy. On low speed, beat in cream cheese, piece by piece; don’t overbeat. Gradually beat in icing sugar. Refrigerate one hour, then spread to cover top of one cooled cake. Place second cake on top and spread icing over the sides of cakes, then the top. Refrigerate loosely covered overnight before serving.
PROTEIN: 6 grams
FAT: 37 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 62 grams
FIBRE: 2 grams
SODIUM: 490 mg