Today’s recipes are from Foodland Ontario www.foodlandontario.ca
APPLE UPSIDE-DOWN GINGER CAKE
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon each: ground cinnamon and salt
- 1/3 cup each: vegetable oil and molasses
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 Ontario egg
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh ginger
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups peeled sliced Ontario apples (about 2)
1. In medium bowl, combine flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
2. In large bowl, beat together oil, molasses and brown sugar; beat in egg until smooth. Stir in applesauce and minced ginger until smooth; set aside.
3. Topping: Pour melted butter into 9-inch round cake pan, brushing butter up sides. Spread brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange apple slices on top.
4. Stir dry ingredients into egg mixture just until moistened. Pour over apples. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Run thin spatula around edge of cake to loosen, then invert onto serving plate.
ROASTED GARLIC AND TOMATO SOUP
- 1 head garlic
- 2 pounds Ontario greenhouse tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Ontario onion, chopped
- 1 Ontario carrot, diced
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup croutons
1. Cut top ¼-inch off of garlic head; remove any peel that comes away easily. Place garlic cut side down on small foil-lined dish; bake in 400 degree F oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle; squeeze out garlic cloves into a small bowl.
2. Meanwhile, peel tomatoes; cut in half, remove seeds and chop. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and carrot for a couple of minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes, stock and garlic; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
3. Transfer to food processor or blender; puree until smooth. Return to saucepan; stir in basil, vinegar, cayenne and salt. Serve sprinkled with croutons.
STUFFED CHICKEN SALAD SANDWICH
Makes 2 ½ cups: 4 servings
- 1 medium Ontario apple, cored, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup cubed leftover chicken or turkey
- ½ cup shredded Ontario carrot
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced Ontario onion
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Assorted whole grain rolls
1. In large bowl, combine apple and lemon juice. Add turkey, carrot, celery and onion; stir in mayonnaise.
2. Slice rolls horizontally nearly all the way through. Scoop out some of the soft bread (this will keep salad from spilling out of sandwiches). Spoon salad mixture into rolls. Close sandwich and cut in half. If not serving immediately, place in reusable container or wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate