GRILLED STEAK, MUSHROOM AND ONION SALAD
A Foodland Ontario recipe
- 2 filets, rib eye or strip loin steaks, about 1 ¼ pounds total
- ½ pound small Ontario mushrooms
- 6 Ontario green onions
- 1 small head Ontario radicchio, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 small head Ontario leaf lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 large Ontario tomato, cut into wedges
Rub for Steak:
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each: dried oregano and salt
- ¼ teaspoon each: garlic powder and chili powder
- Generous amount of freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove Ontario garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon each: salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
1. Rub: In small bowl stir together paprika, dried oregano, salt, garlic powder, chili powder and freshly ground pepper. Rub some of this mixture onto both sides of steaks; set aside.
2. Vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Divide vinaigrette in half in 2 small bowls; set aside one of the bowls to drizzle over salad.
3. Thread mushrooms onto skewers. Brush lightly with vinaigrette. Place mushrooms on greased grill over medium-high heat.
4 Place steaks on grill with mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes, turning mushrooms often and brushing with more vinaigrette. Turn steaks over.
5. Brush green onions and radicchio with vinaigrette; place on grill. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, turning often and brushing with vinaigrette occasionally. Cook until steaks are rare or medium rare.
6. Transfer steaks and vegetables to cutting board; let steak stand for 5 minutes then slice thinly on the diagonal. Cut radicchio into bite size pieces and onions into 1-inch pieces.
7. Arrange torn lettuce on four dinner plates. Arrange green onions, mushrooms, radicchio and sliced steak on top of lettuce. Garnish with tomato wedges. Whisk reserved dressing; drizzle over salad.
GRILLED CORN ON THE COB WITH CHILI LIME CILANTRO BUTTER
- 4 cobs of Ontario corn
- 2 tablespoons each: butter and olive oil
- Juice of 1 large lime
- Seasonings to taste: chili powder, salt, pepper, dash cayenne
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced cilantro
1. Trim silk from top of cobs. Remove 1 layer of husks. Arrange cobs in a circle in microwave; cook on High for 6 to 7 minutes or until cooked. When cool enough to handle, remove husks and silk. Set aside.
2. Combine butter, oil, lime juice, chili powder, salt, pepper, cayenne and garlic if using in small heatproof bowl. Microwave on high just until butter melts; stir in cilantro; set aside.
3. Brush corn with butter mixture. Grill until corn is heated through and light brown on all sides, brushing often with butter mixture. Serve hot.
PEACH BLUEBERRY CLAFOUTI
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (1st amount)
- 2 ½ cups sliced Ontario peaches *
- ½ cup fresh Ontario blueberries
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (2nd amount)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon each: vanilla and either almond extract or lemon extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
*Variations: Replace peaches and blueberries with 2 ½ cups frozen pitted Ontario tart red cherries, thawed and well drained
For gluten-free, replace flour with gluten-free baking mix or gluten-free all-purpose flour
1. Butter a 10-inch fluted flan pan or 9-inch square or round cake pan; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Arrange peaches and blueberries over sugar.
2. In large bowl using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar on high speed for about 2 minutes or until frothy. Beat in milk, vanilla and almond or lemon extract. Beat in flour and salt until combined.
3. Pour batter over fruit. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until custard is set in centre and top is lightly browned. Serve warm garnished with sliced peaches and blueberries, dusted with icing sugar.