Ontario apples add a burst of fresh flavour to breakfast oatmeal. If you wish, serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and a dollop of yogurt. Reheat the next morning for a quick and satisfying breakfast. This recipe can be easily doubled.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Ontario Apple (Red Prince, Spartan or Cortland)
- 1 cup (250 mL) large flake rolled oats
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) hemp hearts
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each baking powder and ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground ginger, nutmeg and salt
- 1 Ontario Egg, whisked
- 1-1/2 cups (325 mL) Ontario Milk
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Ontario Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, melted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
In medium bowl, combine apple, oats, hemp hearts, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
In separate medium bowl, whisk egg, milk, maple syrup, butter and vanilla. Pour over apple mixture and stir. Equally divide among four 1 cup (250 mL) ramekins. Place ramekins on rimmed baking sheet.
Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 35 minutes or until dry on top and slightly risen. Enjoy immediately or cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
PROTEIN: 9 grams
FAT: 9 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 36 grams
FIBRE: 3 grams
SODIUM: 270 mg