Two Ottawa landlords will have to pay $10,000 in fines after the absence of working smoke alarms led to people becoming trapped when a blaze ripped through a townhome west of the city's downtown core.

A tenant suffered serious burns in the fire which ripped through 91-93 Carruthers Ave. in the early morning hours of Nov. 14, 2009. The victim was transported to hospital in critical condition.

An investigation in co-operation with the Ontario Fire Marshal's Office revealed several of the units did not have working smoke alarms.

The City of Ottawa subsequently charged the two owners of the two-storey, eight-unit residence with four counts each of failing to maintain a working smoke alarm under the Fire Protection and Prevention Act.

The Ontario Court of Justice recently convicted the landlords following the conclusion of a trial that got underway on June 7.