BELLEVILLE, Ont. -- A post-mortem is to be done in Kingston, Ont., today on the body of a man who died while working in a new building under construction northeast of Cobourg.

Police say the 43-year-old man was found dead Wednesday in the basement of a small store being built (on County Road 45) on the Alderville First Nation.

A woman who found him was rushed to hospital for treatment after she was overcome by fumes at the scene.

Police say the man had started working earlier in the morning at the site, where a generator and a heater had been set up the previous evening to dry the newly poured foundation.

Police and the Ministry of Labour are investigating whether carbon monoxide played a role in the man's death.

His name has not been released.