Former base commander goes on hunger strike in jail cell
The former base commander of CFB Trenton, who's accused of killing two eastern Ontario women, is now on a hunger strike, according to a newspaper report.
Col. Russell Williams apparently stopped eating on Tuesday, three days after he tried to kill himself in his prison cell at the Quinte West Detention Centre in Napanee, Ont., the Kingston Whig-Standard reported.
Williams apparently hasn't made any demands in relation to the hunger strike, the newspaper said.
Earlier this week, unnamed sources told the newspaper Williams tried to commit suicide by stuffing a toilet paper roll down his throat. He has since been removed from 24-hour suicide watch, the newspaper said.
Williams is charged with first-degree murder in the killings of 27-year-old Jessica Lloyd, of Belleville, and 37-year-old Cpl. Marie-France Comeau, of Brighton.
He is also charged with two home-invasion sexual assaults in Tweed, Ont. in September 2009. His next court appearance is scheduled for April 29.