Family homeless after Alfred fire
A family of three is homeless after a fire completely destroyed the second floor of their home in Alfred, about an hour east of Ottawa, Tuesday afternoon.
The main floor and basement also sustained significant smoke and water damage.
The owner of the home said she has no insurance to clean up or rebuild.
"I’m kind of still numb. It's hard to believe it," said Lyne Payette, who lives in the home with two of her children, Jessie and Jimmy-Dean.
She said she was five years away from paying off the mortgage.
No one was home at the time of the blaze and there were no civilian or firefighter injuries.
The family's two dogs and eight cats also escaped unharmed.
Dominic Côté, director of fire services in Alfred said the cause of the blaze has not been officially determined but it is believed to be an electrical fire that started in a second floor bedroom.
“It’s black, it's scorched, everything's gone, there's nothing left,” said Jimmy-Dean of his room.
“The only thing that was still standing is my dresser with nothing inside of it. My TV was completely melted.”
Crystal Myre has known the family for more than a decade and says community support has been overwhelming.
“We've had a lot of support actually it's been put on Facebook, CTV News, The Review, there's been phone calls coming in one after the other for people trying to support us with clothes and food and Christmas gifts,” Myre said.
Although a formal fund has not been set up, the family is asking for help.
“We only have the clothes on our back,” said Jessie. “We folded our last load of laundry last night. We have nothing at all. Nothing. No beds, nothing. No clothes, nothing."
Anyone wishing to donate can contact local paper, The Review, which has set up different drop of locations in Alfred.
With a report from CTV Ottawa's Katie Griffin.