Three factory workers were treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out at a Stittsville industrial park.

A bin of metal shavings caught fire just before noon at a building on Willowlea Road, near Carp Road.

The fire required special extinguishers because metal fires can't be put out with water.

About 50 firefighters responded to the blaze, which was under control by 12:20 p.m.

Fire officials say the blaze was caused by a motor that creates metal shavings.

The building was not damaged in the fire. However, firefighters say there was about $50,000 in damage to contents.