Dozens of children exposed to "abrasive contaminant" at hotel pool
Ottawa Fire crews were among emergency workers dispatched to the Travelodge hotel on Carling Ave. after dozens of people, mostly children, were potentially exposed to a contaminant in the pool area Saturday, March 8, 2014.
There are no serious injuries after dozens of people, mostly children, were rushed out of the Travelodge pool on Carling Ave. Saturday night.
Firefighters say guests were exposed to an abrasive contaminant in the pool area at the hotel.
Emergency crews, including a Hazmat team, paramedics, police and firefighters, were called to the scene around 7:30 p.m.
Marc Messier with Ottawa Fire told radio station CFRA that about 40 guests, most of them children, were experiencing symptoms consistent with chlorine exposure.
Some parents reported that their children left the pool area vomiting. Some of the parents said they had specifically chosen the Travelodge because of the waterpark, and that they were there for a skating event in the Capital.
Air monitoring and ventilation was done before 10 p.m. The hotel manager refused to comment on the incident.