Irish Apple Currant Cake with Sticky Toffee Sauce from Foodland Ontario
Irish Apple Currant Cake with Sticky Toffee Sauce from Foodland Ontario.
The Irish love their sweets! Tiny chunks of apple baked into the batter makes for a very moist and delicious cake. Drizzle cake slices with the sticky toffee sauce just before serving.
Baking Time: 60 minutes
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 Ontario Eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each baking powder and baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3 cups (750 mL) peeled and coarsely chopped Ontario Apples
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) each packed brown sugar and dried currants
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) large flake oats
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cornstarch
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cold water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Ontario Apple Juice or whiskey
In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in yogurt and vanilla until smooth.
In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using electric mixer, beat flour mixture into butter mixture. Stir in 2 cups (500 mL) of the chopped apples. Set aside.
Filling: Combine remaining 1 cup (250 mL) chopped apples, brown sugar, currants and oats.
Spread half of the batter in greased 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan; add half of the filling. Repeat layers. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool on wire rack before removing sides of springform pan.
Sauce: In small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water together until smooth. In small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add cornstarch mixture to saucepan along with brown sugar and apple juice; whisking well. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Drizzle sauce over individual cake slices. Sauce can be served warm or cold.
Tip: This cake freezes very well.