Ottawa News | Local Breaking | CTV News Ottawa
Pear Chicken Curry
Pear Chicken Curry with Wendy Barrett.
• 2 ripe USA Pears, divided
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 cup diced onion
• 1 tablespoon curry powder (2 tbsp for stronger curry flavour)
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 if you like more seasoning)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
• ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
• 3 chicken breasts (1 ½ pounds), halved, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
• ⅓ cup raisins
1. Peel and core 1 pear; puree and set aside.
2. Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, curry powder, garlic, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and pepper and sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are transparent.
3. Add chicken, and continue to sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add pureed pear, coconut milk, and raisins. Simmer for 5 minutes. Core and cut remaining pear into ½-inch cubes and add to curry. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
Makes 6 servings
Serve with basmati rice