COVID-19 vaccines in Ottawa: Nearly half of all residents in their 60s have at least one dose
OTTAWA -- Ottawa Public Health's latest COVID-19 vaccination update shows that nearly half of all residents 60 to 69 years old have had at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, a figure that has all but doubled in the past week.
OPH's COVID-19 vaccination dashboard shows 58,000 residents 60 to 69 have had at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, accounting for 49.3 per cent of that age group's population in Ottawa. Last Wednesday, OPH reported 30,000 residents 60 to 69 had had at least one dose, which was 25.4 per cent.
As age demographics get younger, the population grows larger and the coverage by percentage may appear to grow more slowly, even if clinics are vaccinating greater numbers of people. For example, the latest figures show that 83 per cent of people aged 70 to 79 have had at least one dose. By raw population that's 60,000 people, only slightly higher than half of all people in their 60s.
Vaccinations are open through the Ontario portal to anyone 60 and older and, this week, the AstraZeneca vaccine was approved for administration at pharmacies and primary care clinics to anyone in Ontario 40 and older.
OPH reported a new shipment this week of 25,740 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. To date, Ottawa has received 305,130 doses of COVID-19 vaccines from the provincial government.
The number of eligible residents (i.e. 16 and older) with at least one dose of a vaccine is now up to 28 per cent.
Tuesday was Ottawa's second-busiest day for vaccinations overall, with the OPH reporting 9,729 shots administered. Last Friday saw 9,887 shots administered in a single day.
- Ottawa residents with at least one dose: 248,668
- Ottawa residents with two doses: 26,722
- Percent of eligible population (residents 16 and older) with at least one dose: 28 per cent
- Percent of eligible population (residents 16 and older) with two doses: 3 per cent
- Percent of total population with at least one dose: 24 per cent
- Percent of total population with two doses: 3 per cent
VACCINATION COVERAGE BY AGE FOR OTTAWA RESIDENTS WITH AT LEAST ONE DOSE
- 10-19: 1.6 per cent (1,804 people)
- 20-29: 8.3 per cent (13,452 people)
- 30-39: 9.5 per cent (14,999 people)
- 40-49: 12.9 per cent (17,350 people)
- 50-59: 28.8 per cent (40,320 people)
- 60-69: 49.3 per cent (58,627 people)
- 70-79: 82.9 per cent (62,808 people)
- 80-89: 87.5 per cent (29,358 people)
- 90+: 89.2 per cent (7,893 people)
- Unknown age: 2,057 people