Cooking with Pam - Comfort Food
Today’s recipes are from Foodland Ontario www.foodlandontario.ca
CREAMY ROASTED MUSHROOM SOUP
Serves 68 ounces EACH:
- Ontario shiitake, button and cremini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 Ontario leeks, white part only, chopped
- 1 Ontario onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Ontario garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups sodium-reduced chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large Ontario potato, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (approx.)
- 1 can (370 mL) 2% or fat free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Remove stems from shiitake mushrooms; half or quarter all mushrooms depending on size. In medium bowl, toss mushrooms with 2 tablespoons of the oil, half of the thyme and pepper to taste. Spread evenly in a single layer on baking sheet. Roast in 450 degree oven until tender, for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile in large saucepan, heat remaining oil and thyme over medium heat; add leeks and onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, roasted mushrooms and wine; cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, potato, salt, bay leaves and cayenne; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly; remove bay leaves.
- Puree in batches in blender; return to saucepan and stir in milk and balsamic vinegar. Season with added pepper if desired. Reheat gently until hot. Garnish each serving with mushroom slice and thyme leaves.
WARM TURKEY AND RICE SALAD
Serves 6 to 8
- 2 ¼ cups sodium-reduced chicken broth or homemade turkey stock
- 1 cup brown and wild rice blend
- 2 Ontario apples, chopped
- 1 ½ cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 cup shredded Ontario red cabbage
- ½ cup EACH: diced Ontario red onion, crumbled Ontario feta cheese and dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Ontario parsley
- 3 tablespoons EACH: vegetable oil and apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Ontario honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon EACH: salt and pepper
- In medium saucepan bring broth to boil. Add rice. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes; fluff with fork. Transfer to serving bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. Stir in apples, turkey or chicken, cabbage, onion, feta cheese, cranberries, pecans and parsley.
- Dressing: In small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Add to rice mixture; toss to combine.
APPLE PECAN TART
Serves 8 to 10
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pkg (8 oz/250 g) light cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Ontario eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled Ontario apples
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Icing sugar
- Crust: In bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and lemon rind until light and fluffy. Stir in flour and salt until dough starts to come together (dough will be crumbly and dry in appearance). Press onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch non-stick springform pan.
- Filling: Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour over crust.
- Topping: In bowl, toss together apples, brown sugar and cinnamon; spoon over filling. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake in bottom third of 400 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove ring; let cool completely. To serve, dust with icing sugar.