Chopped Kachumber Salad
Published Tuesday, April 26, 2022 12:23PM EDT Last Updated Tuesday, April 26, 2022 12:27PM EDT
This refreshing crisp Indian-inspired salad is a delicious accompaniment to any grill, curry or dahl. Equally tasty, spooned over burgers, tacos or scrambled eggs. Or serve with pappadum or grilled naan as a snack or starter – versatile, tasty and easy.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 Ontario Mini Greenhouse Cucumbers, quartered and sliced (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Yellow Pepper, diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) quartered Ontario Greenhouse Grape or Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced Ontario Shallot or Red Onion
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Coriander (Cilantro) Leaves
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
In large bowl, combine cucumbers, yellow pepper, tomatoes, shallot and coriander. Add lemon juice, cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne; toss to combine. Taste and add more lemon juice if needed.
Tips: This salad is best served immediately to make sure the vegetables retain their crunch. If you like, chop the vegetables up to 2 hours ahead, cover and refrigerate. Add lemon juice and seasonings just before serving.
Swap fresh coriander (cilantro) with equal amount of chopped fresh Ontario mint.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6):
PROTEIN: 1 gram
FAT: 0 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 7 grams
FIBRE: 1 gram
SODIUM: 200 mg