Tomato and Chicken Party Sandwich
Published Friday, June 30, 2017 12:49PM EDT Last Updated Friday, June 30, 2017 1:43PM EDT
This sandwich is ideal when looking for an easy way to entertain the gang at home or for a picnic. It can be prepared in advance and looks great once sliced. For easier handling, cut slices in half again.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves 8 to 10
- 1 Ontario Sweet Red Pepper
- 1 crusty bread loaf (about 12-inch/30 cm long and 4-inch/10 cm)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) homemade or store-bought pesto
- 3/4 lb (375 g) sliced cooked deli chicken, turkey, ham or salami
- 3/4 lb (375 g) sliced provolone, Swiss, Gruyère or Cheddar cheese
- 2 Ontario Tomatoes, sliced
- Hot pepper (optional)
Roast pepper by broiling on small baking sheet, turning occasionally, until charred all over, 8 to 10 minutes. Cover and let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut in half; discard seeds and core. Peel then cut pepper into strips; set strips aside.
Slice bread in half horizontally. Hollow out both halves, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick shell. Spread both halves with pesto. Layer in bottom half as follows: half the meat, half the cheese, the tomatoes, roasted peppers, sprinkling of hot pepper (if desired), remaining cheese and meat. Replace top half.
Serve immediately or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. To serve, cut into thick slices.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 10)
Protein: 27 grams
Fat: 15 grams
Carbohydrate: 24 grams