Ottawa News | Local Breaking | CTV News Ottawa
Sweet Jerk Pulled Pork Tacos
Jerk pulled pork is the perfect filling for tacos. Just one pork shoulder roast and maple syrup paired with classic jerk spices can serve a crowd.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2-1/2 hours
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 cup (250 mL) passata (strained tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each Ontario Maple Syrup and water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Scotch bonnet sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each ground allspice and dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground nutmeg and salt
- 4-1/2 lb (2 kg) boneless Ontario Pork Shoulder Roast
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1 Ontario Carrot, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 24 small corn or flour tortillas
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded Ontario Red Cabbage
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) grated Ontario Carrots
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped green onions
Jerk Sauce: In small saucepan, over medium-high heat, whisk together passata, maple syrup, water, butter, soy sauce, Scotch bonnet sauce, allspice, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cook until mixture bubbles and thickens slightly, about 5 minutes; set aside.
Pork: In large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown roast, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Add onion and carrot, water and 1/2 cup (125 mL) the reserved Jerk Sauce; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat falls apart easily, about 2 hours.
Remove roast from liquid, place in serving dish and allow to cool slightly. Strain carrot and onion from cooking liquid; set aside. Reserve 1 cup (250 mL) of the liquid. Using two forks, shred pork, discarding excess fat. Add 1 cup (250 mL) of the reserved Jerk Sauce, reserved cooked carrot and onion and reserved cooking liquid, mix well.
To serve, warm tortillas, top each with 2 heaping tbsp (25 mL) shredded pork mixture, drizzle with 2 tsp (10 mL) reserved Jerk Sauce.
Toppings: Top each with desired amounts of cabbage, carrots and green onions.
Tip: For slow-cooker omit the 1 cup (250 mL) water; cook covered on High for 4 hours.
PROTEIN: 18 grams
FAT: 10 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 36 grams
FIBRE: 2 grams
SODIUM: 450 mg