Strawberry Crumble Cornmeal Muffins
Published Wednesday, June 30, 2021 11:45AM EDT
OTTAWA -- Versatile Ontario strawberries show off their sweetness in these cornmeal muffins. When other Ontario berries come into season, such as blueberries and raspberries, feel free to substitute.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each all-purpose flour and large flake oats
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) packed brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cornmeal
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and ground cinnamon
- 1 Ontario Egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario Milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated orange rind
- 1-1/4 cup (300 mL) chopped Ontario Strawberries
- 2 to 3 whole Ontario Strawberries, cut into 12 thin slices
Streusel: In small bowl, mix together flour, oats, brown sugar and salt. Using fork, stir in butter, just until crumbly. Refrigerate while preparing muffins.
Batter: In large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In medium bowl, whisk egg, milk, butter, vanilla and orange rind. Pour over dry ingredients; stir until combined. Add chopped strawberries; stir gently until evenly mixed.
Spoon into lightly greased or paper-lined muffin cups; sprinkle with streusel. Place one strawberry slice on each muffin. Bake in 375F (190C) oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
Remove muffins, cool on wire rack.
PROTEIN: 4 grams
FAT: 8 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 30 grams
FIBRE: 1 gram
SODIUM: 230 mg